ALSO IT IS MY 60TH BIRTHDAY TODAY, HOORAY. JOANNE AND I ARE GOING TO VISIT OUR FAVORITE BEACHES. BEACHCOMBER AND WHITE CREST BEACHES IN WELFLEET. SUN SHOULD BE OUT, BOOGIE BOARDS READY FOR THE SURF, GOING TO SAL’S ITALIAN SATURDAY NIGHT. WHAT A WEEKEND PLANNED. I AM PICKING UP MY NEW CANNON REBEL VIDEO AND STILL CAMERA TODAY. I’LL BE USING IT IN THE PRACTICE AND FOR FUN. WILL SHOW YOU SOME PHOTOS SOON I HOPE.
No Remaining Teeth-Full Edentulism
Due to dental phobias, anxiety, lack of concern by patient and or doctor, an incredible number of adults are completely without natural teeth.
What can be affected by the lack of natural teeth?
1. Overall health is diminished.
2. Digestive problems from lack of ability to chew food properly. Ask someone with dentures to bite your finger, don’t worry it won’t hurt. Their ability to create chewing force is so diminished you would feel sorry for them.
3. Self-esteem is damaged in most people. If most trusted you enough to share with them their feelings, which most won’t, they will tell you what psychological damage has occurred.
4. Too many people are robbed of the joys of living, laughing and loving life that could be theirs.
5. Too many people shorter lives, diminished lives because of dental disease.
6. Embarrassment and hopelessness are common feeling for these people.
7. Over 80% of patients report difficulty speaking.
8. Over 65% of people reported pain and sores from trying to wear dentures.
9. Over 20% report they never wear their dentures.
10. 17% reported they could chew better with their dentures out of their mouth than in their mouth.
11. Over $200,000,000 was spent in the U.S last year on dental adhesives and pastes.
12. Unpleasant taste and frequent reapplication of adhesive during the day
The more decades they wear their dentures the more the damage occurs in all these areas. People are not going to share these thing with you because they are so personal. If you are reading this, you most assuredly know what I mean. If you are the spouse, family, friend or significant other this may come as a surprise to you. Your loved one is embarrassed and doesn’t want to share this. Many women have never told their husbands or been seen by them without their dentures in place.
A conservative estimate of numbers of people in the Unites States of America that have one-or-two arches of missing teeth is staggering. Over 30,000,000 people or about 17% of the U.S. population is living or putting up with this condition. I have been a dentist in Quincy since 1978 and also restoring implants since 1978. I attended the Misch Surgical Institute and achieved Fellowship status in the International Congress of Implantology.
Dr Steve Matarazzo